March 13, 2013
Present: Dick Mosley, Harpswell Inn; Donna McNelly, Sea Escape Cottages, Tevake Sailing Charters; Alison Prince, Salt Cod Café; Donna Dillman, Captain’s Watch B&B & Sailing Charters; Roland Weeman, Post 171 American Legion; Peter Boisvert, Cook’s Lobster House; Roy Tassinari, Maine Tourism Assoc.; Mary Tassinari, Bellevue by the Sea B&B; Gail Kass, Ash Cove Pottery; Dan MacMahon, Shepard Financial; Julie McLeod, Harpswell Heritage Land Trust; Hannah C. Beattie, Hatch Antiques, Vintage, & Gifts; Chip Black, Bailey Island Motel; Susan Horowitz, Ash Cove Pottery; Condon & Georgeann Kuhl, Gallery at Widgeon Cove; Susanne & Douglas Bane, Gun Point Cove Gallery; Betty Robbins, Seaside Creations; John Boomer, Harpswell Heritage Trust; Ron Davis, Davis Piano Works; Tom Ring, Atlantic Seal Cruises; Deborah Cornish, Harpswell Neck Physical Ed (HNPEA); Deb Wolfenden, Common Table B&B & Event Ctr; Tom Burrows, Marine Handyman; Kelly Dorsey, Androscoggin Bank
6-7pm Potluck dinner/Meet & Greet
7:05pm Call to order
Welcome by President Dick Mosley
- Purpose of HBA read
- New members welcomed
- Personal introduction by those present
7:25pm Guest speaker Julia McLeod, Harpswell Heritage Land Trust
- Discussed purpose and projects they are involved in.
- Cooperative Projects
- Harpswell Family Outing Club, Second Sat of Month
- 7/15-19, 2013 ½ Day Nature Day Camp 2nd-6th grades $75
- Suggestions was made for projects with HNPEA
7:45 pm Annual Meeting
- General information
- Coastal Academy has been approved
- Susan Carlson’s new Quilting Shop, which replaces the Yurt is almost finished.
- AAA show in Mass SMMCC handing out thousands of plastic bags with HBA logo centrally located with Harpswell map inside
- Harpswell Billboard will be made and put up at the Train Station
- John Halpin, Vice President; Kristi Eiane, Town Administrator; Bob Hutchins and Gail Kass have been working on issues which involve the Town and local business through the Economic Development Committee.
- There will be no Harpswell Festival this year instead there will be a Community Potluck on August 31st @ 4pm, DJ & Dancing @ 6pm and Fireworks @ 8pm at Mitchell Field sponsored by the Festival Committee
- Board of Directors Reports
- Dick Mosley, President
- Discussed membership and how it relates to budget to be voted on
- 6 new members
- Some members have not yet paid their dues.
- Deb Wolfenden, Treasurer
- April 1 deadline for dues
- Treasurer’s Report presented 2/28/13 balance $3137.32
- Only dues paying members appear on Harpswell Map & Guide
- Gail Kass, Marketing
- Shared Coop Ads HBA members have participated in
- Maine Invites You
- Allure of the Coast
- There is a mention in the next Maine Home magazine
- Continuing work is being done with the Town of Harpswell Economic Development Committee
- Ongoing planning with town for ATM at Town Hall
- Ongoing development of strategically placed kiosks
- Working with State of Maine to get Highway sign on 295 indicating Harpswell, Bailey Island, Orr’s Island, Cundy’s Harbor exit
- Peter Boisvert, Web Master
- Work is ongoing on the HBA website with additions and corrections following this years membership sign up
- Looking for a volunteer that would be willing to do a monthly newsletter which Peter can post on Facebook and the Web
- Cook’s Lobster House has provided Bailey Island Fireworks each July 5. This year there is a call out for co sponsors.
- Peter is drafting a letter to town economic dev. comm. for support
- Sponsorships are graduated according to donation.
- Includes marketing for sponsors
- Want to make it an all day event for Harpswell
- 11-2 On Garrison Cove for HBA businesses walk thru ??
- Anyone who would like to use point welcome excluding food purveyors
- Encouraged events during the day anywhere in Harpswell
- 8:45 pm – 9:45 pm Boat parade
- 10 pm fireworks
- Roy Tassinari , Maine State Tourism
- The State is discussing cutting tourism money from the budget
- Ray will keep us updated
- John Halpin, Vice President, Southern Maine Midcoast Chamber of Commerce (SMMCC) liaison Absent
- Doug Bane Absent
- Dick Mosley, President
- Meeting Schedule
- Discussion as to whether the meeting schedule should be changed to bimonthly or quarterly. The schedule would not meet in July or August. December Christmas party. Understood that there would be varying attendance.
- It was moved and seconded that the meeting schedule stay as now exists with monthly meetings excluding July & Aug. With Board of Directors meeting to be help 1 week prior to membership meeting.
- Passed by majority
- Annual Budget
- Presented by Dick Mosley
- No money need be allocated for Harpswell Festival
- There is Town money that will be requested
- Discussion Concern was voiced about counting on money not guaranteed at this time.
- Passed by majority
- Nominating Committee
- By-laws indicate that there can be 9 people on the Board of Directors
- Currently there are 6: Dick Mosley, Deb Wolfenden, Gail Kass, Roy Tassinari, John Halpin, Doug Bane
- Nominations are Donna McNelly, Alison Prince, & Dan MacMahon
- Further nominations were sought from the floor. None heard.
- Donna, Alison, and Dan were unanimously approved by the general membership for minimum of 1 year term
- Peter Boisvert was recognized by the board for his service of maintaining the web
- New Business:
- SMMCC Business 2 Business Expo: March 27 3-5 pm, 5-7 pm for Chamber after Hours. Need volunteers to man HBA table during those hours. Event includes all area chambers and associations. Good chance to get your word out.
- HBA and Town of Harpswell will host SMMC Chamber After Hours on June 26, 5-7 pm. Food and location plans need to be made.
- Get any information re: Harpswell Calendar Events for 2013 printed poster to Gail Kass ASAP. email@example.com
- Map Committee prep for printing. Needs to be done by mid April. Alison Prince, Gail Kass, and Donna McNelly volunteered again this year.
- Remember that April 1 is last chance to recruit new members if they want to be on the map. Please get info and check to Dick Mosley ASAP
- Please check your listing on HBA web site for additions or corrections
Next Directors Meeting: April 4 6:30 pm at Sea Escape Cottages, Bailey Island
Next Full Membership Meeting: April 10th 6:30 pm Meet & Greet, 7 pm Meeting at the Dolphin Marina Restaurant
8:45 pm Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully submitted Donna McNelly, Sea Escape Cottages & Tevake Sailing Charters, HBA Secretary